Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year at Herald Elementary! As always, despite our current circumstances and changes in our learning setting, we are thrilled about students returning to school. Our start back will obviously have some different components this year as we take precautions to keep our staff and students healthy and safe. I have listed these below:
- Classroom desks/tables will be spaced as far apart as possible (3-6 feet)
- Classroom desks/tables will face one direction
- Hallways will be marked for safe passing and distance between students in line
- Breakfast will be a “Grab & Go” process and will be eaten in the classroom
- Lunches will change from 2 to 4 periods to decrease number of students in cafeteria
- Lunch tables will be restaged for access and social distancing
- Lunch tables will be marked with appropriate distancing for students to recognize. (Students will sit in the same seat daily)
- P.E. classes will be separated and located in 2 areas with a rotation
- Library, Art & Music teachers will travel to classrooms to decrease hallway traffic (this will only be 2 days a week for classroom teachers)
- Library, Music & Art teachers will travel to classrooms
- Computer Lab will be disinfected between each classroom rotation
- Visitors in the building will be limited to “Essential Visitors” (list TBD)
- Essential visitors will follow COVID-19 protocol by answering screening questions & taking their temperature and wear a mask
- Items dropped off for students will be placed in the designated area in the lobby and will be retrieved and delivered after parent leaves
- Only 2 people will be allowed in the office lobby at a time. Masks will be required for entry and used by office personnel
- Classroom Parties, if we have, will be non attended by guests
- Alternatives to Parent/Teacher conferences will be established
- Staff members will sign in daily and attest to doing the self screening
- Masks will be required by staff in heavily populated areas or close proximity instruction (maybe face shields) : IE: Arrival & Dismissal, cafeteria duty, heavy traffic areas, small group instruction, individual instruction, etc.
- Students will be required to wear masks during arrival,dismissal, on our buses and may vary depending on the Oklahoma COVID-19 Alert System category for Tulsa county
- Hand washing and hand sanitizer usage will be scheduled: entry and exit of the classroom, after each classroom activity, specials, etc.
- Classes will take bathroom breaks as a whole and bathroom capacity will be limited(except for emergencies) and hallways will be marked for students waiting
- Students will utilize prepackaged snacks and they will be eaten outside at recess
- Teachers will wipe down their classrooms with disinfectant (provided) at least 3 times daily and at the end of the day.
- Classrooms will be disinfected with a mist sprayer each evening
- Classroom trash will be tied and placed outside the classroom at the end of the day.
- All stuffed animals and cloth materials will be removed from classrooms
When you read all of these changes, it can feel overwhelming. Please know that we have made every effort to adjust what we can for health and safety but to also create a fun, exciting, warm and effective learning environment for our students. Our priority is and will always be to build relationships and memories as well as academic progress. Thank you in advance for your inconveniences as we do our best.
Cheryl Hunt, Principal
Back to School Packet & Car Tag Pick Up Procedures
Date: Thursday, August 13, 2020
TImes: 8:00-9:30 AM or 5:00-6:30 PM
- You may choose either the AM or PM time to pick up your child’s packet and car tags.
- The car pick up line for Herald will be used.
- First Grade teachers will be stationed at the southeast door as you enter the pick up line from 129th St.
- Second Grade teachers will be stationed on the west side (in the back) of the building. Please move into the left lane as you enter the pick up line to move around the first grade teachers.
- If you want to bring school supplies on Packet/Car Tag pick up, please place them in a closed bag with your student’s name and teacher on it.
Thank you, again for your cooperation and understanding!
It’s Good to be a CARDINAL!